This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    GW2 Relics Forum Index -> Guild Wars 2 Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthrage
Sanguine Wild

re: Community Poll - Goals

Ahmrill wrote:
Possible headaches the first month or so vs having a nice healthy server population 6-12 months down the road. I know in some previous MMO's we found the players and guilds with less resolve simply moved to other servers. This left the more dedicated players and a nice healthy server population for a long time.

I agree with this assessment, that this is the real choice that not just this community faces, but that all GW2 players must deal with. Many of us feel that if server transfers are free for the first week, which is the assumption at the moment, then it is better to try to get everyone on the server and tough it out during the early going, and be sure of a healthy server population long term.

That said, getting everyone onto the server and the server cap itself is not the only issue. The WvW cap is another point of concern, certainly in the last BWE a great many people faced queues and were unable to play with their fellows. Granted at release the per map cap should be up from 75 or 100 to the intended 166 per world, for 666 total per team for WvW...but, will they actually be able to pull that off.

Even if they do, taking Jade Quarry and it's community as an example, that number is easily present in the guilds/alliances and communities known at this stage pre-release, not including undeclared guilds and public or unaffiliated players. The fact is that while choosing a less apparently populated server would lessen the likelihood of running into server or WvW cap issues, there is no way to be 100% sure of avoiding them no matter what server you choose.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me, some degree of faith and 'sticking with it' is needed no matter what choice is made. It's a tough call though - if a server is too populated, there is not much you can do except switch. If it is not populated enough, there are ways to increase a server's population, but it's a considerabe undertaking and a long process.

My current opinion on this one is that if the confirmed population numbers from your own alliance/community is such that in and of itself it would provide a decent population to keep WvW properly manned...say, 4000 people...then you could go to a brand new server and be fine. If the overall population from those people who have declared for a server is more than 8000...then you're probably going to have cap trouble.

Unfortunately, making an informed decision on this subject is a huge catch 22 - you can't get solid numbers until people make their decisions, and you can make informed decisions without solid numbers. It really boils down to having a plan A and a plan B prepared, having the will to make a hard choice if things dictate it is necessary (either sticking through a few tough weeks on a low or high pop server, or picking up and switching after a week on a capped server)...and that requires 100% certainty as to the transfer policy. Until that is confirmed, it's really hard to finalize anything in my opinion.
Azylynne
Nordvegr

Ahm, would you consider another "player poll" say after BWE3, and maybe a month prior to launch to do the actual guild poll?

I think there's a lot of... turbulence or there will be between now and a week after BWE3 about the issues about servers at launch, and where all the guilds/community will fall once the dust settles. Even Team Legacy on their show discussed the possibility of switching server at launch.

Currently I am not really decided... and hence, why I think as we draw closer another player poll may help as our minds may change between now and launch. Again, there's just not enough info from ANet about how launch will work, what caps they are going to put it, will there be free server transfers and in what direction (high to low pop only?), etc.

Anyhow, gonna try and hide during the dust storm (goodluck with that).
Ahmrill
Nordvegr

d3cimus wrote:

I'm also worried about this. That being said, there is also the flipside of being on a server that dies off earlier than others as happened to many servers in WAR (and pretty much every other recent mmo).

Possible headaches the first month or so vs having a nice healthy server population 6-12 months down the road. I know in some previous MMO's we found the players and guilds with less resolve simply moved to other servers. This left the more dedicated players and a nice healthy server population for a long time.
d3cimus
Granite Guard

Azylynne wrote:

One major factor between say Jade Quarry and another server is the "population cap". If the server is "perma-capped" more or less at Launch, then I am for moving to a less populated server. If the server is "temp" capped for a few hours or when the server is "full" I am neutral about staying on Jade Quarry.

I'm also worried about this. That being said, there is also the flipside of being on a server that dies off earlier than others as happened to many servers in WAR (and pretty much every other recent mmo).

The poll asks what we could choose "now"... and in that sense, I voted for Jade Quarry mostly because that's where we are at, and I had made some friends on that server etc. and knowing that other Daoc/War guilds are on there. In that sense, I voted for it... now.

But, as we get closer to Launch and once a Launch date is set... if we as a Daoc/War community choose another server, I will honor and choose that server also.

One major factor between say Jade Quarry and another server is the "population cap". If the server is "perma-capped" more or less at Launch, then I am for moving to a less populated server. If the server is "temp" capped for a few hours or when the server is "full" I am neutral about staying on Jade Quarry.

Just my thoughts about the server poll.
Ahmrill
Nordvegr

There will be a guild vote closer to gw2 release. Each guild will get a single vote and a single representative from each guild will vote. This would be a special poll for guild representatives only.

The player poll currently running will be the only player poll, and will be closed when a final GW2 server is released. If the majority were to select "new random server" then we would probably make another player poll to determine the server. Currently is appears that the community is leaning towards an established server at this point.

I do want to point out that there is no obligation to go anywhere. The results of the poll are simply to determine where the majority of the community will probably be going. That way we can show people where the majority of players are planning to play and where the majority of guilds are planning to play.

Hope that helps Gris!
Grisrielle
Sanguine Wild

Will there be another poll closer to launch? I can't say for sure but wonder if people are holding off voting until closer to launch. I guess another question would be when is it best to decide on a server.
Ahmrill
Nordvegr

This site was created to get a consensus of where former DAOC and Warhammer players and guilds wanted to coordinate for GW2. The goal was to hopefully poll 100 players and 20 guilds. This would give us a small sample of the communities intentions.

We're a little short of that, so please vote using the "Server poll" link if you haven't already. If you could encourage any guild members to register it would be very helpful. Remember if they use the launchcode "gw2relics" during the registration process they can auto-register themselves and vote immediately.

Server Poll Link: http://gw2relics.guildlaunch.com/tools/poll/poll_view.php?poll_id=65539&gid=195321

Thanks!
Posts from:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    GW2 Relics Forum Index -> Guild Wars 2 Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: